In this part of Acts, Luke describes Saul's (Paul) salvation story. It's such an amazing testimony of the power God has to transform people, taking Paul from a life of persecuting and arresting Christians to being one of the more influential men in the Bible. When I was reading my one year bible the other night, the above passage of scripture stood out to me in a couple ways.
First, I never realized how upfront the Lord was with his plan for Paul's life. He made it very clear early on what he had in store for him. I can't help but think about times that I wished the Lord would just come to me and tell me all the plans he has in store for my life. I have to admit, sometimes when I hear people talk about being "called" to do something, I have a hard time understanding what that looks like. How do you know that God is truly calling you to this? What does it feel like? I'm I being called to something right now and I am missing it? Sometimes, I think saying you are "called" to something is just a way to tell yourself that you're following God's will when you are just trying to convince yourself you are. I think that maybe the reason I have a hard time hearing this calling, it's because I am not doing my part to be closer to God. I'm I in his word? I'm in prayer? These are the things that put up roadblocks to hear God and what he is wanting to show you.
Another thing that stood out to me and I love about this passage is that it is a reminder that at times in our life, God will allow us to go through trials, difficult times, and even suffer to glorify his name. Now, I'm not saying that God creates bad things to happen to us, but we live in a sinful world and God allows us free will in our decisions and choices. God uses everything and wastes nothing (John 6:12). This is true for even the difficult circumstances of our lives. He does this, I believe, to show the power of who the Lord is and the impact he can have on our lives. It's been said that it is easy to praise the Lord when life is fantastic. When you are making tons of money, your relationship with the kids and wife are great, and you couldn't be in better health. But can you still praise the Lord when you don't know where the next rent payment is going to come from, when you feel so disconnected to your family, when you are sick and scared? I'd like to say I could, but to be honest, I haven't really been tested in this as my life has been pretty comfortable. I do know someone who went through horrible circumstances, someone that got beat for his faith, someone that had people leave him, someone that lost their freedom. Paul showed us that our days and circumstances will be ever changing, that we will have good days and really bad days, that we may lose our earthly freedom, but staying obedient to God allows to us bask in the promises that one day that will be gone forever. Our God is always the same loving, merciful, sovereign God and when we fix our eyes to the end of the race like Paul did (2 Timothy 4:7), we know what the result is and our earthly problems lose their importance.
"Lord, I pray that you dwell in my heart that this life is temporary. That my goal is not by earthly standards, but your standards. Show me the ways you have used difficulties in my life to show your glory and let me rejoice in that. Let me be joyful in all circumstances and let me be listening to you daily so that I can follow your will for my life and not my own. You are the one I want in charge and I know that if I am in control, it will lead to destruction. Thank you Lord for these reminders and your mercy on me. In Jesus's name, AMEN. "
No comments:
Post a Comment