"For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind." James 3:16 (NLT)
It is hard not to fall into the trap that our culture sets for us when it comes to money and wanting better things than we currently have. I am so used to it by now, that I have these thoughts subconsciously, feeling like I need to get ahead all the time and the things in my life are not enough. It is hard to erase 28 years of that way of thinking, but God can certainly do it. I think what James is getting at with this passage is that contentment is such a huge part of living out our faith. When we are content, our eyes our fixated on something much bigger than a nicer car, a bigger tv, or the latest gadget. You have more time and focus on a much greater purpose, fining Christ and bringing others along with us. Jealousy and selfish ambition are seeds that spring up and grow beside many other bad characteristics. Greed, gossip, backstabbing, cheating, and lying are all qualities that go right along side of jealousy and selfishness. When I was a new Christian, I quickly learned that I needed to surround myself with our strong Christians or I was in danger of falling back into my old habits and old ways of living. That's how I see allowing jealousy and selfishness in your life. Eventually, you will revert back to working for your life and not receiving it as the gift it is.
"Lord I pray that you show me the times I am jealous for what others have and to remind me that my ultimate prize are the promises and gifts that can't be bought or worked for. Continue to work within me to make me more content so that I can focus my eyes upwards toward you, and not at earthly possesions. In Jesus's name, Amen."
No comments:
Post a Comment